Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bridgett Kardashian

I like my hair short; unfortunately I had to let it grow out because I'd been warned by three different women that getting a good short hair cut would be nearly impossible in Sao Paulo.  The women here all have the same hair style, it is one length and not styled.  Before moving into our current home I lived in a hotel, so I got to see women going to their jobs.  The majority would have wet hair (just washed) as they got off the bus and walked to their jobs. Needless to say I was quite taken by surprise.  Going to work with wet hair is unheard of in the States.  Women take great care to style it for the day.  Here the women do not blow dry their hair or style it in any particular manner; it is what I call wash and wear hair.  I realized that finding a stylist adept at cutting short hair would present a challenge because I saw very, very few women in short hair. 

Not too long ago I accompanied my husband to his barber.  I asked one of the female employees if she could recommend a hair stylist who could cut short hair.  I made sure to emphasize that s/he must know how to cut short hair.  I was assured that the salon just below the barber shop would do a fine job.  It did.  The experience was very interesting and unusual.  After some heavy questions on my part, the stylist assured me he was highly qualified to cut my hair short.  In response to his question, I told him I wanted my hair cut like Kris Kardashian.  The receptionist went on the internet and the three of us studied the cut.  As Joas cut my hair at his station (same set-up as in the US),  I was a tad nervous because Joas would wave the scissors around my head before taking scissors to hair.  I was concerned that I might get stabbed by the flying scissors.  I wasn't.  When Joas needed a comb or another pair of scissors or the water spritzer he asked his assistant who stood next to him during the entire cut, to hand him the needed item even though it was within his reach.  The assistant handed the item to him like a surgical nurse hands the surgeon the tool he needs.  What a hoot!  In conversation, Joas asked me if I knew who Bridgett Bardot was and I said yes.  Maybe he thought I said no because then he told me, "You look just like her."  Now that was too much!  Really?  Just Google BB to find out what a load of you-know-what I was being handed.  Now my husband calls me Bridgett Kardashian.  By the way, I got a good Kris K cut.

Since this first cut I've been unhappy with Joas because I am one of four or five heads he works on while he cuts my hair.  At my last visit he was cutting my hair when he stopped to check on 2 hair colors.  He stopped another time to consult with a woman who walked in, and once his cell rang and he had a conversation.  I asked him if he had other stylists working there and he said yes, but he is the only one working, cutting, styling, coloring, and greeting the women as they come in.  There is a young man, very trendy looking who sits and just looks at his cell phone.  I wonder if he's security, and  I also wonder if Joas just likes to micromanage the shop. Anyway, my last hair cut was very short and very mannish in the back, and it definitely is no longer a Kris K cut.  I am unhappy with the lack of personal service which I think explains my very short hair cut, and so I am looking for another stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment